NOVUS MINDFUL LIFE INSTITUTE’S GUIDING PRINCIPLES
You have inherent worth that is equal to others.
- You have worth and value that is equal to–not better than nor less than–every other person. This is known as inherent worth.
You are worthy of love and belonging
- By accepting the concept of inherent worth, it follows then that all people are worthy of love. You are worthy of love and belonging. Love exists on a continuum from respect to very warm regard.
You can change.
- The idea that people cannot change is pessimistic and mistaken. People show an ability and a desire to change everyday. Current empirical evidence suggests that brains continue to remain plastic and malleable throughout our lifetimes.
You have an internal spirit defined by you.
- You have an internal spirit. It may be a “higher power.” It may be connected with religion, or it may be a sense of something larger than ourselves that we are connected to. It also may be a “higher self” or “higher principle”. We accept your definition, whatever it might be.
You have the right to make choices.
- You have the right to make choices in your life. Empowerment means knowing you have the ability to make choices and pursue your needs and wants.
You have the right to functional boundaries in your relationships.
- Functional boundaries are essential in relationships. This means both containment and protective boundaries should be exercised. Boundary violations include anything disrespectful or harmful to another.
You are whole and have the answers inside of you.
- You are whole. You were born with the value, personality, and aptitude you need to be successful.
Your emotions give you useful information.
- Emotions give you information about your environment. They help keep yourself safe.
You have the right to enjoy sex and your sexuality within the boundaries of your relationship.
- You have the right to enjoy sex and sexuality as long as you are not violating someone else’s boundaries. There should be no shame around sex with appropriately defined boundaries. There should be no shame regarding gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, gender identity, or relationship status.
You, your therapist, and all others are equal in human worth.
- Trusting your therapist helps you to be vulnerable and take risks. Vulnerability and honesty with your therapist are necessary for healing. Your therapist can learn from you as you can learn from your therapist.
We connect through our similarities and grow through our differences.
- You will find you connect with others through your similarities. You will also find that you grow through experiencing your differences.
Connection is a human need.
- Social interaction and connection with one another are basic human needs for us to thrive.
Perfection is not possible.
- Perfection is not possible. Striving for perfection means the feeling of never being enough. We are worthy, loveable, and whole as we are.
Offering In-Person and Online Counseling & Therapy
Call us today at 562-431-5100.
At Novus, we provide a compassionate team of professionals who will work with you with a level of commitment that you will not find anywhere else. Let us help you start or further your recovery today.